The NEWGEN Site
The NEWGEN site on the western flank of the Newberry Volcano offers significant advantages for EGS research and development:
The NEWGEN field research location on the western flank of Newberry Volcano was strategically chosen by the project team for a number of reasons including:
- More than 30 years of exploration and study provide extensive background data for the area.
- Two 10,000-feet-deep geothermal wells have already been constructed, and well stimulation activities carried out in 2014 successfully generated an EGS fracture network in previously impermeable rock.
- Many smaller exploration wells have been drilled that have the potential to continue providing further data on the Newberry site.
- Two highly productive water wells have been installed and proven.
- The Newberry site is easily accessible from Oregon State University’s main campus in Corvallis and only 28 miles from its campus in Bend, creating the potential for faculty research, student internships and community engagement.
- Nearby cities of La Pine and Bend provide easy access to local contractors for support work as well as services for visiting researchers.